Sunday, June 8, 2008

Who Stole my Chocolate Chips?


It was you, wasn't it?

I come from a family of chocolate chip cookie connoisseurs. We know what makes a good cookie, what makes a bad cookie, and refuse to eat stale cookies - they have to be fresh or they're spoiled! My whole life I grew up with homemade cookies in the jar pretty much every day, which was a well-known fact amongst our extended family and friends. They would stop by, walk in the door, and head straight for the cookie jar. And oh, the looks we got if we failed to provide! The Stink Eye was invented in the cookie-less Downie kitchen.

The picture here is of a particularly delectable cookie recently made and eaten within moments - can you blame me? However, this evening I had a more traumatic cookie eating experience. I was biting into a cookie and discovered that...dare I tell you? I must. There were only THREE chocolate chips in the whole cookie! Where did the rest of the chocolate chips GO? I mean, is a chocolate chip cookie still considered a chocolate chip cookie if it has fewer than 10 chocolate chips in it? I have my doubts... I managed to eat the whole cookie, but it was seriously lacking in deliciousity (I like that word...should be in the dictionary). Not to mention that we were out of milk. I mean, HOW can you enjoy a chocolate chip cookie without milk? You dip 'em in water and they just get soggy. Yecchh. There are more cookies in the jar...I think the only way to recover is to eat two or three or four more.

8 comments:

Elizabeth Downie said...

I've rarely seen such courage as you exhibited tonight eating that cookie with so few chips. And without MILK!? Katherine, you are an example to of all (I didn't say an example of what!).

Katherine said...

An example of courage, stamina, and heroism, I say.

Elizabeth Downie said...

I meant to say an example to US all, not of all. What the deuce!?

Anonymous said...

Here's a recipe for a chocolate chip cookie using boxed cake mix!

Adam's coworkers enjoy them. So do I.

1 [18 oz] yellow cake mix.
1/2 C. [1 stick] butter or margerine
1 tsp. vanilla
2 eggs
1 C. chocolate chips
3/4 C. M&Ms or pecans

~preheat oven to 350°. In med. bowl, combine cake mix, butter, vanilla & eggs. Beat on Med. speed until well blended.

~Stir in Chocolate Chips and m&ms

~ Drop by rounded teaspoonfulls onto ungreased cookie sheet & bake 10-12 minutes.

~Cool for 1 min. on cookie sheet & remove to wire rack. [Makes about 3 dozen]

~ Malissa ~ said...

I'm going to practice being a missionary and make a list for my comments on this comment:

#1 - The recipe below, the one for boxed caked cookies, is a tradition in my family (my grandmother's recipe) and those cookies are AMAZING! You should really try it!

#2 - I've read a lot of blog entries in my 21 years of living (technically 22?) and this entry of the chocolate chip cookie has to be my FAV by far! A+ on that assignment!

#3 - You and E are hilarious (I knew that already, but I think it's nice to give a nice ego booster every once in a while - even if it's to someone who already has a big enough ego...cough...cough...hack!)

#4 - Lists shouldn't have more than 3 things because people are asleep by this time in Sacrament Meeting sooo...keep up the bloggin'!
Here's mine! oceanfrontview

MMMegan said...

As Elizabeth said, the courage and heroism you have displayed are truly spellbinding. However, here I must present an item for discussion: chocolate chips in peanut butter cookies-- few vs. many... see, I prefer my peanut butter cookies without any (or at least many) chocolate chips, whereas my mom likes them to be chocolate chips with a little bit of peanut butter cookie. Hmmm...

Katherine said...

Huh...I don't know that I have ever had peanut butter cookies with chocolate chips. I think I'd say few to none, too. Oooh-but I LOVE peanut butter cookies with Hershey's Kisses on top! MMmmmmmmm...delicious!

Wee Sisters Three said...

i have actually considered moving back in just for the cookies. No joke. I dream about them fortnightly!