Wednesday, November 24, 2010

The Artist's Corner: Pom Poms

Have you ever wondered what it would be like to jump into a pool filled with pom poms?  A shallow pool, of course, but full to the brim of small, soft pom poms...  That (very strange, I know) idea popped into my head today as I was putting some supplies together for a youth class taught at Kendall, and had to take some pom poms out of their original bag and put them into smaller baggies.  When I stuck my hand into that big bag of pom poms, magical things happened.

My hand in the magical bag of pom poms

OK, maybe not really magical, but the pom poms were so soft, it made me feel rather relaxed!  I might keep this in mind as a stress reliever.  I've heard that petting animals is supposed to release tension, but as I'm allergic to many of our fur-covered friends, I may keep around a bag of pom poms as a soft and fuzzy alternative.  

On to the art project!

As it's the day before Thanksgiving, and there's not much going on here at the office, I was inspired by the pom poms to do an art project. Specifically an elementary-school type art project.  (Don't worry, I'll have much more advanced stuff on here, too.  This is just a fun and simple warm-up!)

After looking at some images of turkeys online (to get some ideas for colors, etc) I chose some pom poms that would best suit my needs.  I used some no-drip washable school glue gel, and got crafting!  I was lacking any googly eyes, but found some fabric puff paint for the detail work.  Here is the finished product:

Isn't he adorable? I think I'll name him Chanticleer*
While I realize that this is not the most amazing project ever, it got me thinking about the fact that it can be really easy to jump into art.  Just find whatever you have around your home, lay your supplies out, and think about what you could make.  It'll make you feel like a kid again!  And it's certain to cheer you up.  

Happy Crafting, and Happy Thanksgiving!  




*I realize this is usually thought of in relation to roosters (because of the fables), but it actually is from the French for "to sing clear," which clearly, turkeys do.  ;) 

4 comments:

Elizabeth Downie said...

I love this project and the turkey is so cute and soft! :) Thanks for the idea!

violet50 said...

I think you should get a copyright on "The Pom Pom Solution" for stress reduction. I see a nobel prize in psychology in your future.

BlackLOG said...

I always wanted to dive into a pool of balls and envied the little tykes who now have the opportunity. In my childhood you were lucky if you had a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

Then I heard that the little ones get so excited that they wet themselves…..I Decided even this child like adult could do without that .

I do hope your pom pom ball fest was not a soggy experience

Wee Sisters Three said...

I just now saw this post and LOVE IT! (love it was said with a sing songy voice.btw) My pom pom creations always end up a blob of too much glue. Looking at them you would wonder how I graduated Kindergarten in my poor glue to pom pom ratio's. I will try again soon though. Maybe I should Join your sat. morning class. lol