Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Hey, in the Elevator!

Why are elevators SO awkward?  I work on the 7th floor at school, and some days the stairs just aren't going to happen.  I'm all for exercise, but rather against huffing and puffing into work...

Yesterday, a woman and I got on the elevator on the 7th floor at the same time, and proceeded to stand in opposite corners and not speak.  A few floors down, a guy got on, and decided that the best place to stand would be right between the woman and I, though there wasn't much room.  So there we were, three strangers standing against the back of the elevator in a tight row, not speaking, and staring at the floor numbers as we descended.

It just felt weird.  Should I strike up a conversation?  Or would that be more awkward?  I think it's funny how elevator co-travelers often avoid eye contact and act like they're not standing just inches from another human being.  What if we got stuck in the elevator together?  These perfect strangers would suddenly be my closest friends.  I feel like a lot of social experiments could be done in and about elevators.  I think I may stick with the stairs.

The elevator experience did remind of one of my favorite Animaniacs cartoons of all time, which I thought I'd share with you:



For another elevator cartoon from the '90s, check out this one, featuring Baby Plucky.  A little more annoying, but classic! 

4 comments:

Unknown said...

When I was little, my grandfather used to make me stand in a closet for five minutes without moving. He said it was elevator practice. -- Steven Wright

Elizabeth Downie said...

You should've turned around and faced them the rest of the ride just to mess with them. ;)

violet50 said...

I'm not good at awkward silences. I was walking out of Liberty school the other day and a man started walking down a rather long hall with me pace for pace,and turned at the same place and walked to the door. By the time we burst out into the open air, I had to say something inane about the weather. He responded in kind and all was well. But it was a close one - literally.

Joyce and Bill said...

Joyce and I were at an Austraian resort with a dining hall where we were randomly seated by the staff for each meal. When being seated with Aussies or Kiwi's you were instantly part of their family. On two occasions we were seated for breakfast with A couple (different couple each time) who ignored us. Little table for four. Strange at first. Increasingly uncomfortable. Finally sweating under arms. Avg. No longer could stand it. I said hello, we introduced ourselves, they did the same and turned into very nice friendly people. Common denominator. Both cases they were from England. New rule: say something right away!