Sunday, January 3, 2010

There's Treasure Everywhere!

I know you've all been on tenterhooks waiting to find out what my new year's resolution is going to be, so I shan't keep you waiting any (well, much) longer! I've thought about it quite a bit, and mulled a few options over:
- Read more Murder, She Wrote books
- Seriously (like, really seriously, this time) learn how to play the guitar
- Blog every day...or at least every week!
- Solve world hunger
- Join Farmville addicts anonymous

I threw those out (though I'll continue to work towards those goals) and looked at this resolution a different way. My main criterion for this resolution is that it not be mundane - no exercise/diet resolutions or anything like that. When I looked at the definition of a resolution (a firm decision to do or not to do something) vs. goal (the object of a person's ambition or effort; an aim or desired result), I felt like a resolution was more, well...more resolute. A little more determined than a goal would be. Of course, exercising and eating well are good things to do, but I plan on doing those things (well, should be doing those things) anyway, so why resolve to do them if I already am (will be)?
Last night I was reading a collection of Calvin and Hobbes comics called There's Treasure Everywhere. The very first comic (as seen above) shows Calvin digging for treasure and so excited about the things he's found - worms, a rock, a root, etc. To us, those things might seem insignificant or even gross. But for Calvin, it's real treasure! Calvin's attitude has inspired me and influenced my resolution this year.

Last year my resolution, to have more adventures, took me all over the country. This year, I'm going to continue to be adventurous, but I'm going to look for local "treasures" and work to find treasures in small things every day. This resolution encompasses a few things besides treasure hunts and adventures, specifically being more positive and grateful. I think that all of these things are tied together: if I have a more positive attitude, every day can be an adventure, treasures will be found much more easily, and I'll be more aware and more grateful for all that I have and do. (Awareness is really key here: we can have amazing things going around us but be completely self-absorbed and unaware - I am often guilty of this.)

I know that goals are supposed to be measurable and trackable, which might not seem to apply to my resolution this year (I certainly was able to track my adventures last year; not just my travels, but more local adventures, like watching karaoke semifinals in Hell, going to Frankenmuth twice, being a movie star, etc), but I think there are ways. At the very least, there are ways to break down and achieve this goal.

When I was in high school, I put up a sign by my bed that said: "You have a choice today: you can choose to be happy or you can choose to be grouchy." Most people would probably laugh at that, but I can assure you that, while our moods are often affected by things outside our control we still can control how we react to those things. I remember one morning in particular I awoke and was laying in bed feeling particularly grumpy. When I sat up and read that sign I instantly felt the grouchiness wash away and a peaceful contentedness take its place. I had the choice and I chose to be happy. (If you come by my apartment and find similar signs all over, you are now forewarned that this is merely a way for me to achieve my 2010 resolution.)

So this year, I'm seeking treasure. The treasure will be in the form of further (probably local) adventures, happiness, and gratitude, as well as anything else that comes my way. If you have ideas or suggestions, I'd be happy to hear what you have to say! And if you have any good experiences (either now or things that happen to you this year), please share! I'll try my best to use my blog as a way of tracking this, too, so I can share my treasures with you!

Also, you should probably be expecting me to have a treasure hunt-style birthday party this year - it's a big one for me, so I've gotta do it up right!

6 comments:

Elizabeth Downie said...

I like that idea! Very positive! And much more interesting than mine:

1) Get my finances in order
2) Taste test the new Dominoes pizza recipe and determine if it's better.

I think I'll follow your example!

Moops!

Michelle Williams said...

Hi Kathrine, I checked out your Great art work and was impressed! Are they all watercolor?
Love your idea for the "treasure hunt" goals. Would you like to treasure hunt here in the great NW? We would give you free room and board and you and I could paint together! We have the ocean, two large mountain ranges, many lovely rural scenes, the marvelous big city of Seattle w/art museums and forests galore! What's not to treasure?? Well maybe the rain. But I have learned to love that too. It makes for interesting and often beautiful skys.Can I tempt you? Bring any and all family members you want to, we LOVE you all! :D

Wee Sisters Three said...

Michelle, if kat doens't take you up I"M THERE!! :) I wanna come visit..
What I was going to write, katherine, was that i had thought you could be a tatoo artist, since that keeps your art in it. But i guess not. I like your ideas better. Let me be the first to tell you what trasures can be found in my little boondock of Tecumseh.
1. Train rides from here to Clinton. I know what you're thinking. Look out world, here comes Katherine.
2.There appears to be about 20 different Jazzersize classes that go on just in my neighborhood, you could come out...size up the jazziness, have a humdinger of a time.
3. There's a place called Basil Boys. Popular for the yummy break sticks.
4........who are we kididng. That's all I've got.

Michelle Williams said...

Come one, come ALL Downies, a world of beauty is waiting for you! Heather I would LOVE to see you and all your kiddos too! :D

David and Linda said...

Great post! Resolute is the word! I think the key for me is to carve out the time to do the treasure hunting. I have the resolve to go to the public library more. I can walk there when it's warm. I can walk there when it's cold, too, for that matter. I just have to do it. But there are many treasures just here in Saline. I will find them! And maybe I'll ride the train from Tecumseh to Clinton!

Katherine said...

Oooh, thanks, Michelle! I think I'll have to take you up on that sometime! That would be so much fun!!