Wednesday, December 30, 2009

The Best Resolution Ever.

Some of you may remember that I set a goal at the beginning of this year to take more risks. Really, it was to be more adventurous in general. I thought having more of a broad goal would make it a little easier to achieve but would still give me a chance to do something new. I was hanging out with two of my friends on Monday and Camilla told me that I'm one of the only people she knows who actually achieved her New Year's resolution! I thought I'd share with you some of the successes that I had in achieving this goal.

To start, I was thinking about how many museums and historical places I visited this year. I came up with a list which is pretty darned lengthy! (An asterisk [*] indicates a place I've never been to before this year; if there is a number next to it in parentheses that indicates the number of times I went there this year only.)

The Museum of Modern Art, NYC*
The Metropolitan Museum of Art, NYC*
The Frick Collection, NYC*
The Detroit Institute of Art, Detroit
The University of Michigan Exhibit Museum of Natural History
Arab American National Museum, Dearborn, MI
The Public Museum of Grand Rapids, Grand Rapids, MI*
Frederick Meijer Gardens and Sculpture Park, G.R., MI (3 times)*
The Grand Rapids Art Museum, G.R., MI*
The Salem Witch Museum, Salem, Mass. (twice)*
The Salem Pirate Museum, Salem, Mass.*
The House of the Seven Gables, Salem, Mass. (twice)
Hershey Museum, Hershey, PA*
Plimouth Plantation, Plymouth, Mass.*
Independence Hall, Philadelphia, PA*
Meyer May House (a Frank Lloyd Wright house), G.R., MI*
Nauvoo, Illinois (Joseph Smith house, Red Brick Store, Skovill Bakery, etc.)*
Empire State Building, NYC*
Quincy Market, Boston, Mass.
Fanueil Hall, Boston, Mass.

Some other places I went/saw:
Artprize (a pretty big deal in Grand Rapids this fall)*
Liberty Bell, Philadelphia, PA*
Lincoln Center, Juilliard, The Strand, Times Square, Central Park, Rockefeller Plaza, NYC*

I think you can tell from some of the locations of the museums and other places that I travelled quite a bit this year! New York City; Boston (twice); Salem, Massachusetts (twice); Maine (Bar Harbor, Freeport, Boothbay Harbor, Portland); Philadelphia; Hershey, PA; and Ludington, MI (4 times).

I also embarked on a very big new adventure: I quit my job, moved to Grand Rapids, and started a graduate program in painting at Kendall College of Art & Design of Ferris State University. It's been a bit of an adjustment living someplace new, going to a new school, etc, but it's been a great adventure!

So now I need a new resolution for next year that out-does this year's. I'm open to suggestions! Now that I'm a student again it has to be a low-budget resolution, but I think I'd like to stay in the area of doing things that are adventurous. I've got one more day to work it out...I'll let you know what I decide it should be. There may be more on this decision tomorrow...

8 comments:

Elizabeth Downie said...

1. Dye your hair pink, call yourself a trendy hipster, and become a total art school grad student.
2. Ask a guy out on a date.
3. Man...I got nothing. I'll work on it.

Good luck. I think #2 will keep you busy all year.

Anonymous said...

-Abstain from thinking outside.
-Give up balancing my checkbook in mixed company.
-Get better about speaking loudly around smokers.

Anonymous said...

-I will stop kissing strangers once a week.
-I will use my phone to call instead of text.
-Take public transport.
-High five the person sitting next to me.

David and Linda said...

I think you and some of your fellow art students should paint a mural on one of the buildings in the fringe areas of downtown Grand Rapids, to class it up. Get the city council to donate the materials. You could even do it of something in the Meijer Gardens, like you painted the scene from the Toledo Zoo. I can see the headlines now: Art Student Katherine Downie headed up the project to beautify G.R. Okay, so it's a long headline, but you get the idea.

Wee Sisters Three said...

1.you can have my kids for a night, that's adventerous.
2. Take up mixed martial arts/ cage fighting
3. Grown Dreadlocks.

I think i'll keep thinking.

D said...

Do things that you get a student discount on. Ask for a student discount every where you go. :) Sometimes it's surprising where you can get a discount with a student ID.

And put LA on your list of places to visit and you can stay with me and my boys. :) (we're about a half hour to an hour outside of LA)

Victor and Camilla Broderick said...

I like Elizabeth's #2. I double-dog-dare you.

Melanie Carbine said...

What a brilliant idea: resolve to do something you know you'll do anyway. But, I guess the point was that for you it wasn't something you were going to do anyway. It's an impressive list; pretty awesome. I still miss you (says the girl who has a blog called Gypsying). I think I'm just going to find more reasons to speak in other languages or face a fear (either swimming or Utah).