Monday, January 11, 2010

The First of Many Treasure Hunts

Last Saturday promised to be a rather sad day, as I was leaving the fam and the comforts of home to head back to Grand Rapids and school. (Not that G.R. and school are bad, I'd just had a LOT of fun over the break!) I got back to my apartment, unloaded, then decided to go get some groceries before settling in to unpack. When I was leaving the Family Fare, I heard booms in the distance. I had an internal dialogue that went something like this:

"Yikes! I hope no one just got shot. Actually, it sounds like fireworks. Nah, it's January, and not a holiday. Why would there be fireworks? Probably a car backfiring. Or more like a lot of cars backfiring at once. Boy, I hope those bananas ripen up quick. Maybe I'll stop by Taco Bell after all."

When I got in my car and pulled out onto the road, off in the distance I saw them: it was fireworks! I immediately set off to search for the source. I figured that the most logical place for fireworks to go off would be right downtown over the river, so I headed in that direction. I tried to keep the fireworks in sight, and would lose them occasionally behind trees or buildings. I knew I was getting close when I saw people running in the direction of the river.

After a few minutes, I ended up on Pearl Street, stopped in a line of cars on one of the bridges over the Grand River. We were parked very illegally, but no one seemed to care. The fireworks were being set off on a parallel bridge (Michigan Street), so I had a perfect view! I opened up my sun roof, pulled out my camera, and got a few cool videos. It was fun to hear the cheering and see all of the people lined up on the bridge and along the cold river.

I had a silly grin on my face for quite some time after I drove away after the big finale (see video below). I must say, my resolution to find treasure certainly was met in spades! I think my next resolution is going to be to win a million dollars...


(A couple of things about the video: It gets cooler about half-way through; I love that the No Parking sign is clearly visible throughout; about 2/3 of the way through, it gets REALLY loud - my car was shaking quite a bit at that point!; I also love to hear the cheering at the end. Enjoy! And Happy January!)

4 comments:

Brian said...

You can't just leave us hanging - so, did you go to Taco Bell?

Also, what were the fireworks for?

Elizabeth Downie said...

Wow, those fireworks look awesome! Good video! And I'm with Brian. Did you go to Toxic Smell and if so, what did you get? (As if I didn't know - two crunchy tacos and a nacho, am I right?)

Katherine said...

I actually didn't go to Taco Bell! I AM planning on going there today, though. I've been craving it ever since then...
I just Googled "Grand Rapids Fireworks," and discovered that the fireworks were for The Michigan Association of Fairs and Exhibitions, which held their 125th annual convention at DeVos Place last weekend, and decided to celebrate with the fireworks show. Thanks, MAFE!

Michelle Williams said...

What a delightful surprise! I love fireworks and Terry never wants to go see them anymore. :( Luckily we live above a large lake and the wealthy folk who live ON the edge of the lake set them off every 4th so I just have to look out my window (but they are usually far away so the bangs aren't as fun!).