Friday, August 7, 2009

Do I Dare to Eat a Peach?

This year, rather than make several New Year's Resolutions, I made one. That resolution was to be adventurous! To do new things! To take chances and not be afraid of the outcome! For some reason as I've thought about some of the chances I might take, the phrase, "'Do I dare?' and, 'Do I dare?'" has been repeated in my head over and over. It's from a poem that I've liked for years, The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock by T.S. Eliot. The whole phrase is:

And indeed there will be time
To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?"
...Do I dare
Disturb the universe?
In a minute there is time
For decisions and revisions which a minute will reverse.

T.S. Eliot was referring to something different than I am when I think of it, but I still find it fitting as I come upon a big change in my life. In about a week and a half I will be moving to Grand Rapids to start an MFA program in painting at Kendall College of Art & Design. I'm excited and nervous! More excited right now, but the nerves come on in waves. I have moments when I think, "You know, I could just stay here where it's cushy...or...do I dare?"

I do dare! It's quite the rush to do something completely different! I promise to keep you up on all of the exciting happenings that I shall dare to do in the months to come. As long as you promise me to tell me about the daring things that you do, too!

2 comments:

alecia said...

It is brave, Katherine, and I can't wait to here the stories!

Ashley said...

You can do it!! What an exciting opportunity you have before you. I'm sure you will love it! I had the same "do I dare?" feelings constantly with coming to Japan. Don't let those feelings drag you down. New adventures are what make life colorful.