Thursday, October 2, 2008

Roald Dahl Tells It Like It Is.

I have read almost all of Roald Dahl's books. I own most of them, and just recently got his second autobiography, Going Solo, for my birthday. There is one part that I really wanted to share with my female readers. (I was inspired by Christi's blog!) In this part of the book, Roald Dahl is in the forest in Africa with a group of African soldiers and hears frogs croaking incessantly. He describes the way that the frog's croak sounds and goes on to say,

"This is his mating call and when the female hears it she hops smartly over to the side of her prospective mate. But when she arrives a curious thing happens and it is not quite what you are thinking. The bullfrog does not turn and greet the female. Far from it. He ignores her totally and continues to sit there singing his song to the stars while the female waits patiently beside him. She waits and she waits and she waits. The male sings and he sings and he sings, often for several hours, and what has actually happened is this. The bullfrog has fallen so much in love with the sound of his own voice that he has completely forgotten why he started croaking in the first place. We know that he started because he was feeling sexy. But now he has become mesmerized by the lovely music he is making so that for him nothing else exists, not even the panting female at his side. There comes a time, though, when she loses all patience and starts nudging him hard with a foreleg, and only then does the bullfrog come out of his trance and turn to embrace her.

"Ah well. The bullfrog, I told myself as I sat there in the dark forest, is not after all so very different from a lot of human males that I could think of."

ZING!!

Just thought I'd share that with you. I don't know about you ladies, but I was picturing a couple of guys of my acquaintance when I read that passage... For any fellas who read this, I know you're not one of those guys. You would never fall in love with the sound of your own voice! Or if you did, you would at least try to hide it better than a frog. ;)

6 comments:

Brady said...

Croak, croak, croak, croak croak croak.

CroakCroakCroak... croak... croak... croak... croakcroakcroak.
croak, croak, croak

CroakCROAK, CroakCROAK, CroakCROAK, CroakCROAK, Croak

Croakcroak Croack

Elizabeth Downie said...

Haha! Good response Brady! But don't worry, she wasn't talking about you! And I think that quote could definitely apply to some women too. ;)

Katherine said...

Ha! Ah, Brady. I like that you varied your croaking, too. Makes things much more interesting! :) I agree, E. - some women are that way, too.

Brian said...

George's Marvelous Medicine was my favorite when I was a kid. A children's story where a kid poisons his mean grandma and is a hero for it? How morbid is that?

(I guess you could call that an example of me listening to myself croak and missing the point of your post.)

Anonymous said...

While the process is amazingly similar, I'm not sure if the human ending is quite the same. I think there are far too many times when the female or male just never get to the embracing part - one usually just gives up and goes his/her own way before there's any sort of embracing. Well, sometimes anyway. This frog story is a downright fairytale! haha

ZING!!!

I like your new background!

I love fall! It makes me want to go outside and climb trees and jump in leaves and wear comfy clothes and drink cider and watch Gilmore Girls and be warm and magical!!! Loves it!

Unknown said...

What a great entry!