Tuesday, September 30, 2008

A Questionable Variety of Crud...QVC!

Whenever my friend Megan and I get together, we turn into 14 year-old girls. Not literally, but we certainly seem to become completely ridiculous. We go on some strange road trips to such places as Hell and Sleepy Hollow State Park, and do strange stuff like watch hideous jewelry being sold on QVC for waaay too long.

This past week, when Megan was visiting once again, we ended up watching QVC. There was really nothing else worth watching on TV, but that's no excuse. We should have changed the channel MUCH sooner, but it was hard to turn it off! We kept seeing the timer at the bottom of the screen and wondered what monstrocity would come up next! Here are some examples:

They may not look that bad here, but let me tell you, they are somethin' else. The woman selling them was an oddity. I mean, could she really have been THAT in love with the jewelry?? When she was showing the piece on the left, she was raving about that the circles were a full INCH in diameter! Can you believe it? She couldn't. The piece on the right is an "Enhancer." What that means is that you can clip it onto any chain. A miracle! Truly, a miracle. I couldn't find any pictures of the multi-colored chains. Very sad indeed. She was SO in love with the green gold! And was thrilled to mix it with the purple gold and the blue gold. As lovely as they sound. (Yikes!)

I highly recommend that you watch the video. It'll be the best thing you watch all week! Ok, that's a promise I can't really back up, but it'll be entertaining.

7 comments:

Elizabeth Downie said...

Ok, sadly, I was there for this - or at least, the end of it. I remember asking you guys repeatedly, "WHY are you watching this?!" I found the whole thing disturbing. But at the same time, I kind of understood. It was hard to look away!! I wish I had that lady's enthusiasm! :)

Anonymous said...

Are you maybe hinting at some possible Christmas present ideas here? I know how much you secretly want that "enhancer".

I used to spend a lot of time watching infomercials late at night. I have a long list of ones I love. They are mesmerizing - you just can't turn it the channel.

Katherine said...

Nooooo! No enhancers!! That's what nightmares are made of. So what are your favorite informercials??

Anonymous said...

Basically, any of the Ronco products - specifically the Food Dehydrator, Showtime Rotisserie ("Set it and Forget it"), and Solid flavor injector (my personal favorite).

Also, Winsor Pilates, Natural Advantage (I love Jane Seymour), and proactive (Thank you Jessica Simpson).

I've spent many a late night and Saturday afternoon under the infomerical spell. How do they do it?

MMMegan said...

Yay! I'm in your blog. I feel so proud. Except that the exerpt is of us watching QVC. Surely we did something more classy than that when we were together. Like.... no not that....er...maybe...no. Alright. I give. We're really 15.

MMMegan said...

So, I truly loved the SNL sketch of McCain and Palin on QVC. You? It reminded me of how awesome we are.

Katherine said...

I know!! That sketch was so great! I kind of want the "Joe" dolls...