Friday, August 20, 2010

White Gummy Bears


Yesterday my mom and I went to one of our favorite Ann Arbor restaurants: San Fu (located in the South Main Market). Apart from having delicious Chinese food, the name of the place is really fun to say. (Try it!)

A couple of stores down from San Fu is one of my favorite stores, called By the Pound. At this store, you can buy spices, baking supplies, granola, beans, candy, etc, all - you guessed it - by the pound. I used to go there all the time and buy different kinds of candy that I would stash around my desk for when I needed a little something sweet - Andes Mints, M & Ms, Swedish Fish, gummy bears... The nice thing was that you had a little control over what you got: don't like blue M & Ms? While the clerk's not looking, scoop those ones back out of your bag. Only want red Swedish Fish? Be strategic in your scooping and just grab the red ones!

For me, it's the white gummy bears. I pretty much like all flavors of gummy bears (but not all brands - some are too chewy or too tough), but the white ones, which I believe are pineapple flavored, are my favorite! It's like strawberry flavored Starburst - I love to save those ones for last! Or else I'm careful to eat them at strategic intervals in between the other flavors.

Yesterday I did my best scoop work, and got as many white gummy bears as I could. Mmm, it's been a delicious day, eating those yummy little bears! It's also reminded me of how I used to love to eat off the heads and switch around the gummy bodies... I thought maybe I was weird, then remembered a tutorial I read last year - it's not just me! (Click here for the tutorial - it's quite hilarious!)

Do you have any favorite candy flavors or candy traditions? Did you grow up eating Pop Rocks or red Razzles or only the brown Reese's Pieces? Do you also call flavors by the color? My mom always tells me how silly she felt going to Dairy Queen when we were kids and ordering red, purple, or green popsicles. The employees would look at her funny and say, "You mean, cherry, grape, and lime?"

Now if you'll excuse me, I have a white gummy bear with a red head and one green arm waiting to be eaten. Mmmm...

6 comments:

Elizabeth Downie said...

Oh man, don't get me started on my favorite candies. There are too many to list. I'm pretty sure all of my teeth are "sweet tooths" (sweet teeth?). Oh, and thanks for saving ME some white gummy bears! (Said sarcastically.)

k nelle said...

Katherine this is too funny! I was at a concert tonight and thought aloud - we really need some gummy bears. Turns out, you blogged about it! :) wow.

Still haven't gotten up to where you are to see chihuly. I guess that should happen soon, huh?

violet50 said...

Thanks for going to San Fu with me. It was fun! My favorites when I was a kid were Mary Janes and Squirrels and pretty much anything chocolate.

Wee Sisters Three said...

I used to go to by the pound and buy like 5 lbs of goldfish crackers. Lol. I love that place.

My fav candies, besides anything chocolate, are resees peices..wait..that's chocolate. I enjoy snicker..crap...I honestly can't think of anything not chocolate..let me think for a bit...............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................ok..no...that has chocolate in it.....................................................................................................................................a ha! Sour patch kids! Love them! I used to love jawbreakers, now thinking back on those..eww.. I would get a huge one then keep it for months and suck on it a little now and then.. gross! I am to much of a germaphobe now for that.lol

Katherine said...

H, I remember those huge jawbreakers - SO gross!! (I had one, too...)

The Leo said...

You know what I like about you Katherine? Your relationship with candy. It's a beautiful thing from a third party perspective. I can only aspire.