Friday, March 27, 2009

I'm supposed to be working right now.

I'm currently at work, sitting in on the Course 1 middle school math class. It's likely that I should be helping the students, as I AM the instructional assistant for this class, but do they really need my help when they're just taking notes? I go around and wake up the sleeping students, regulate when students are misbehaving, and make sure their papers are filling up with fractions and the rules of dividing them.

I know, it's pretty exciting.

The image “http://www.enchantedlearning.com/math/fractions/gifs/dividefractions.GIF” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

One thing that being an instructional assistant in this class has taught me is that we REALLY don't use a lot of the algebra we learn in school. Have any of you ever divided fractions outside of middle or high school math class? Or needed to find out what n equals? Now, if you have a job as a mathematician, then yes, you have. But what about us lay people? I can't say as I have ever multiplied or divided fractions in my average life. And n could equal monkeys, but it doesn't really affect my day. I've certainly used what I learned about percentages (though tip calculators have saved me from some math headaches), adding, subtracting, multiplying, etc, but beyond that, I tend to try to purge my brain of whatever algebraic knowledge I have gained.

http://www.storyboardtoys.com/gallery/Piets-House-Large.jpg http://library.thinkquest.org/05aug/01478/pictures/vitruvian_man.jpg

Geometry, on the other hand, has been rather useful in my life as an artist/art teacher. All that we see in the world around us it made up of geometric or organic shapes, and understanding geometry is helpful in trying to transfer the image of an object to a piece of paper. I have learned to like geometry as it aides in my career, while algebra has become sort of a dirty word to me. (Though as an organized person I do tend to enjoy the fact that there are fairly hard and fast rules in algebra which, if followed, will give you the correct answer every time. Ahhh, organization.)

So, are you a lover of geometry? Is solving for n your life's passion? Do you find geometric shapes in objects around you, or do you multiply and divide fractions in your head while your roommates are telling you about their day?

I'll leave you with a problem of the day: If x=24 and y=3, does a tree falling in the forest make a sound if no one is around to hear it?

5 comments:

Amy said...

Oh, ouch! This one went straight to my heart! I personally think dividing fractions is one of the most exciting mathematical topics that there is! And I have a lovely pictorial way of showing it - maybe I can win you over with that :).

Elizabeth Downie said...

I don't really mind working with fractions, but I never do it in my every day life. I always preferred geometry to algebra to answer that question. I actually don't do much math in life and find that numbers are usually a pain in the rear (the numbers on the scale, the numbers on my bills, the numbers of my age...).

I had a feeling Amy would respond :)

Katherine said...

I had a feeling Amy would respond, too! Don't worry, Amy, I had a rather long talk with Jason Evans today, and he may have converted me a little... I definitely do want to see your pictorial way of showing algebra!

Wee Sisters Three said...

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.. oh sorry, i fell asleep. woops..just like math class in high school

Britt said...

Hi Katherine!

Thankyou for the good reminder about how cool it is to do Math with Geometry...it inspired me to write a lesson for my math class using photography.

I have to say that I agree with Amy and Jason. The reason that Algebra is relatively un-useful is that it's just the tool you need for problems in physics. Like for example, you'll probably never again use factoring polynomials or the quadratic equation in real life, but if you need to find out how long you have before a falling coconut clocks you on the head (we have at least 1-2 fatalities in the Marshall Islands each year due to this problem), you can use factoring or the quadratic equation to solve the coconut's equation of motion. So the algorithms are not necessarily interesting, but the underlying concepts are really useful tools for all kinds of cool other things in the world :) That's my two cents, anyway...

Well, thanks again for the good geometry idea...if you have any other good ways to mix art and math, I would love to use them for class, so please keep sharing!