Sunday, May 9, 2010

Descent Into Ridiculousness

It’s been a while since I’ve done much blogging, but now that my semester is over, I thought I’d try to ease back into things with a slightly embarrassing (but funny!) story.

About a month ago, when the weather started getting warm, I decided to start riding my bike to school again. The first rides of the season are always the toughest, but I know that once I get through those first half dozen or so rides my muscles (and other eh-hem…areas…) will stop being so sore and I’ll be able to enjoy the ride more.

I live at the top of one of the higher points in Grand Rapids, which makes for tricky bike riding. My ride to school is generally a pleasant, quick event, as it’s pretty much all downhill and I can coast most of the way, arriving cool and on time to class. The ride home is a different story.

The main problem isn’t the downtown portion of the journey, as that’s mostly level. But once I reach a certain point in my trip home, it’s all uphill – about a half-mile steady incline to my apartment building. I’ve tried several different routes, and last month found what I thought was the best one. It’s a beautiful residential street so there are no stoplights, which means a better build-up of momentum. That also means less traffic, and therefore fewer people to witness my huffing-and-puffing up the hill.

I rode my bike up this hill the first few times and, much to my chagrin, was unable to make it to the top without having to stop about halfway and walk my bike the rest of the journey. The third or fourth time as I was pedaling up the incline, I decided that, no matter what, I would ride to the top of the hill. I may have been crawling up the street (ants were speeding by me), but I made it! I got to the top of the hill (where the street I was on dead-ends into another road), and stopped by a lovely yellow house to catch my breath.

What happened next was ridiculous. I'm not sure why exactly it happened, either! All I know is that one second I was standing in exhausted triumph, the next second my bike was falling (towards the sidewalk, not the street, thank goodness), and I soon followed. I mean, I was stopped, standing there, and my bike fell! I couldn't stop it! I sort of laughed as I went down, catching myself before falling rather ungracefully with my bike. I got up quickly, righted my bike, and walked across the street to a beautiful grassy hill where I could catch my breath and laugh at myself.

I have no idea if anyone witnessed my graceful descent, but I honestly wish someone would have! I must have looked ridiculous!! I also wish someone would have videotaped me - I laugh about it just seeing it in my head - it would be hilarious to watch it over and over again!

On a side note, the next time I went out on my bike I discovered part of the reason for the difficult bike rides: my tires were half-flat! Yeesh. Next time, I'm checking that first!

3 comments:

Elizabeth Downie said...

Oh man, that's hilarious! Did your helmet come off or did you take it off? I'm glad you weren't hurt!! :)

And yay for blogging again!

MMMegan said...

I wish I had witnessed it. I'm picturing it in my head, though, which is nearly as good. Although for some reason in my head you are wearing a long flowy dress. I would also like to point out that the word I'm being asked to write for verification is "slyaous." Define, please, because this is awesome. And, I wish I could have seen you last week, but I got too lazy and tired and guilty for leaving. Trust me, should have left.

Wee Sisters Three said...

OK, I didn't read this post till today. I check every day to see if people have blogged, but then i realized that you posted it on mom's day and the next day was Ethan's bday and my life was crazy those couple days and then you posted again on the 12th, so I only saw that one, (Sorry for the long explanation)I digress. My point is, you told me this story and yet, I sit here about to pee my pants, pictureing you falling down. FUNNY!! I was thinking we could re-enact(sp?) it on video. Good times.