Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Road Trip!!!!

Last Thursday I did something that I love to do: I took a road trip!  Sadly, my road trip meant no Lyrical Thursdays post, but I'll be back on this week, no worries. (I know how you all worry.)

The road trip I took was to beautiful....historic....Kirtland, Ohio!!!  That may have been rather anticlimactic for some of you if you've never heard of Kirtland, Ohio, and to be fair, it is a very small town.  But in the history of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (of which I am a member), Kirtland is a pretty big deal.

In the early days of our church (the 1830s and after), the Saints (as members of our church are called) moved around quite a bit.  Sadly it wasn't usually by choice, it was a necessity for their safety as they were often persecuted and even given extermination notices to leave certain areas.

In the midst of all of this turmoil, amazing things were happening.  The gospel was being shared, temples were built, and revelations received to guide the church members in what they should do.  There are a lot of accounts of what happened in Palmyra, New York; Kirtland, Ohio; Jackson County Missouri; and Nauvoo, Illinois, and the church maintains sites in these cities to allow members be able to walk the very paths early church members once trod and learn from the history that happened there.

For me, trips to these places have many purposes.  First, I LOVE a good road trip!!  Finding treasures as you trek to new places (or miss your exit and get off at the next one and discover the birthplace of President Garfield!), eating snacks you only ever buy for road trips, listening to audio books in the car...  Love it.  Second, I LOVE history.  It's so fascinating!!!  Yes it can be dull in the wrong hands, but in the right ones, it's SO good.

Third, I love the spirit that is felt in historic places, and especially church history places.  Miracles happened there!!  It's hallowed ground!  I could go on, but wanted to include some photos from my trip.  I might really like taking artsy photos of old timey things, so you can just scroll past those.  ;)

The Kirtland Temple
The Newel K. Whitney Store
Moi!
The School of the Prophets in the Whitney Store
Dining Room upstairs in the Whitney Store
Storage Barrels

Mail at the Whitney Store
Baskets at the Whitney Store





Kitchen at the Whitney Store
Bible in the Whitney Home
Johnson Inn
Along the River



Looking from the Visitor's Center towards the Whitney Store
Birthplace of James A. Garfield!
"We'd all like to flee to 'the Cleve'." - Jack Donaughy, 30 Rock

1 comment:

Elizabeth Downie said...

I love it! The rainy pictures are so pretty. Looks like a super fun trip. :)