Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Game On!

Have you ever found yourself in this scenario?  You're substitute teaching and it's MEAP testing day.  The kids finish the test quickly, and you find yourself with almost two hours to fill and nothing to do!!! What now???!?!?!?

OK, so maybe this isn't a very common scenario, but it's one in which I found myself today.  I've had similar experiences with subbing, where it'd be really great to just have a few games that require no equipment and not a lot of space to play to fill some time.  Today I found a great resource.  In an effort to both have easy access to these games for myself and share them with others, I'm going to link some of the games here.  I hope you enjoy!
Another great resource (link)

**Some of these games also make great party games!!**

Buzz Fizz - (I've also played this where doubles are "buzz" numbers, ie: 11, 22, 33, etc) - a counting game where you need to be paying attention or you're out!

Exciting Life Awards - A creative way to get kids interacting with and getting to know each other.

Gifts For the Journey - Kids pair up and have to remember things about each other, and then share them with a new partner.  If you forget something, you're out!

Grab the Finger - MUCH different results than "pull my finger..."  An active game where kids have to keep their finger from being grabbed while trying to grab their neighbor's finger.

Group Hug in Motion - Move as a group in different directions as directed by a leader.

Here I Sit - Could be dangerous, but gets kids moving!

Line Up - Kids line up according to height, eye color, shoe size, etc.  There's also a version where the kids do this blindfolded!

Rock Paper Scissors Tournament - I did this with 18 kids and it was very fun, but also very quick!



Sit Down If - ...you have eaten chocolate today, etc.  Last one standing wins!

Snort - A game in which players - yes - snort at each other!  There's also a game in which players Moo.  Really loudly.

True or False - Players have to guess whether a statement you make is true or false, and are eliminated as they guess incorrectly.

Two Truths and A Lie - A classic, where players have to figure out which statement is a lie and which are true.

Wink Murder - Another classic!!  The "murderer" winks at people who, after waiting a few seconds for the murderer to move away, "die" in dramatic fashion.  The inspector has to find the murderer!

Would You Rather - Popular with kids and adults!!  This website has some great scenarios, too.  With a large group, we split the room for each option and then I had a few kids from each side defend their choice.  It was really fun!

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

If I had a nickel for every time I was in that situation...

Nope. So much for relating. :) I loved the game ideas though! It took me back to the elementary golden days for a bit!!!

Elizabeth Downie said...

How did I not know you updated your blog? You're supposed to tell me these things! thanks for the links! these could come in handy someday! :)