Sunday, May 1, 2011

Leave of Absence

And then I walked downstairs and he was like, "what?"  And I was like, "yesterday."  

...So I thought I'd start out this post as if we were in the middle of a conversation instead of the cold, hard truth - that I haven't posted anything in months.  Months!  Here's a little run-down of what I've been up to and why my posts have been scarce:
  • wrote a paper and gave a presentation on Frank Lloyd Wright and his principles of organic expression (for school)
  • painted.  A LOT.
  • wrote and rewrote my artist's statement (9 pages now) and read a lot of James Elkins' The Domain of Images (very interesting, but takes a lot of rereading...)  
  • worked a lot
  • continued to work in the young women's program at church
  • continued chairing the Wee Folks Island committee for the Saline Celtic Festival
  • continued on as treasurer of the Kendall MFA Club
  • got a stomach virus
  • got a Twitter account
  • got a painting into the Michigan Water Color Society's annual show, this year being held in Birmingham, MI!
  • had a painting in a show at a place called Braaaaaaiiiiinnnnssss 
  • worked on my plan to take over the world (shhhh - it's a secret!)
  • worked on stuff for my website - COMING SOON!
A mini preview of one of
my most recent paintings -
it's 7' tall, 7" wide, & in oil

Here's what I didn't do:
  • post on my blog
  • have a social life
  • get normal amounts of sleep
  • eat healthy
  • exercise
What it boils down to is that the second list is becoming my list of things to do this summer!  I'll still be working from list one (painting, working, seeking after world domination, etc), but hope to intersperse some things that are a little more fun alongside sleeping and trying to fit back into my pants.  I'll also be teaching a few youth art classes, an adult drawing class, as well as a workshop on Frank Lloyd Wright on May 15.  (I'm becoming obsessed...there may or may not be a post about him soon...I can't help it!)

I'm hoping that this summer, while being busy in preparation for graduation in December, will be full of adventures!  They may be local, inexpensive adventures (who knew grad students were so broke all the time...?), but they are going to be AMAZING.  I'll keep you posted (no pun intended)!

6 comments:

Elizabeth Downie said...

Yay! You updated your blog! And I loved it! I would have also accepted a post that just had a picture of me, then the words to "you're the reason" by Peter Cetera (esp the line "you're the inspiration). hehe

Wee Sisters Three said...

I am excited you updated your blog too. I think you should really get off your butt and stop being so lazy though. I mean, hello! Lazy bum.
The kids and I will come up and visit you and that will be one adventure to cross off your list.
Btw: what a tease on the painting. It looks amazing though! Weehoo.

Dr. J said...

Do tell about how the Meyer May House thing went

D said...

I want to see your work!

Victor and Camilla Broderick said...

Yay for an update on the blog, dude! I LOVE the painting. It looks AWESOME. I wish I could see it for reals. Time for a brainwash: come to Boston. come to Boston. come to Boston. It would only be one million dollars in gas money. But free boarding and (good (if I do say so myself)) food!!

violet50 said...

I get tired just reading all of the things you've done this semester! I love the looks of your newest painting. I can hardly wait to see it! Take the time to go and get an ice cream or something! All work and no play...